- When we collect personal information from an individual, we will ensure that we do so in a fair manner and that we let the individual know where and how to contact our organisation.
- We will only collect information that is necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
- We will advise individuals or the purpose for which their personal information is collected.
- If we collect sensitive information (as defined under the Act), we will treat it with the utmost security and confidentiality. We will ensure that it is not collected for any purposes, other than those for which we have obtained the individual’s consent, unless the law requires otherwise, or other exceptional circumstances prevail as described under the Act.
- Where an individual chooses not to provide requested information, we will advise that individual of what consequences this non-disclosure may have. For example, withholding certain information may limit our ability to provide relevant offers or services to individuals.
We will only disclose personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act. This means that personal information may be disclosed:
- For the purposes for which we have advised that we are collecting it, and for related purposes that the individual would reasonably expect
- Where we have the consent of the individual to do so
- As required by law
- Under other circumstances where permitted under the Act. During the course of our business activities, we may need to disclose some of your personal information to relevant staff
UNAUTHORISED DISCLOSURE OR ACCESS
Our practice is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals, we will view unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, personal information by our employees or contractors, as a serious breach of this policy. Appropriate action (which may include disciplinary or legal action) will be taken in such cases.
We will always provide individuals with a nil-cost way of contacting us to register a request to “opt-out” from receiving any product offers.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
Individuals will be able to access their personal information upon request. However, our practice may occasionally need to deny access to information in accordance with the exemptions contained in the Act.
Our goal is to protect the personal information collected by our practice) and its associations.
- Personal information will be managed confidentially and securely and destroyed appropriately when no longer required.
- We will monitor and implement appropriate technical advances or management processes, to safeguard personal information.
- We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date, and has been obtained directly from individuals or other reputable sources.
- Privacy related inquiries or concerns can be directed to our Director or Practice Manager.
AVAILABILITY AND REVIEW OF POLICY
- This policy will be reviewed from time to time and any amendments will be incorporated into the updated policy.